An Olio
a miscellany of thoughts

April 27, 2005

 

Panhandlers

What do you do when confronted by a panhandler? If someone approaches me on the street, I always say I have no money. Today I was coming from the library and was waiting in the St. Paul Hotel entranceway for a ride home in the hotel van, which they sometimes graciously provide me.

A man approached me and said he was waiting for a friend who was in the bathroom. He said they needed money for bus fare to Minneapolis and if they didn't get back in time they would lose their beds in the shelter. I do know that is a rule. He looked "normal" and not excessively scruffy, whatever that signifies.

I happened to have $2 in change and I gave it to him. I don't know why. Maybe I thought he was telling the truth. Though thankfully I've never been homeless, I do know what it means to be down to your last few dollars.

These days so many people are homeless, or can't make ends meet even working more than one job. It's so sad and overwhelming. I don't know what my $2 was used for, but I hope it was for a real need.

Comments:
So what do you think about Minneapolis Police Chief William McManus' idea to license panhandlers?
 
I think there are better uses for police time, like going after aggressive pickpockets and muggers in Uptown, than checking to see if a panhandler is licensed.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home